Friday, August 7, 2009

I Must Have Misheard You...

I went to the Seattle Art Museum last night (no, I didn’t see the Andrew Wyeth exhibit, not yet) and it was fabulous! I love first Thursdays; I need to take more advantage of this wonderful service! Anyway, there were a couple things that made this experience less than desirable:

As Sarah and I were driving past the museum, I recognized someone walking in. Someone creepy. Tiny little bit of back-story…There is a student at Shoreline who creeps me out more than any other guy I have ever met. More than club guys, more than anyone (and I’m not a nervous sort.) He’d come up to my desk almost everyday, sometimes multiple times a day. He never said anything overt, but the way he said things to me made me hugely uncomfortable. Luckily he’s transferred now, but towards the end of his enrollment I would run into a coworkers office and hide there until he left (he would linger at my desk, look down the hall – presumably knowing I was there because my coworker would watch for him to leave –sometimes for ten or fifteen minutes). This doesn't sound like much, but trust me, this gets weird after more than a year. Icky…

So icky in fact, I almost turned around and went home. Sarah’s like, “There are so many people there it’ll be fine.” And luckily we didn’t see him inside, but it shortened my stay and lessened my enjoyment.

Although I did get to see this:



A photograph by Imogen Cunningham (we LOVE her) of Margrethe Mather and Edward Weston. If you aren’t familiar with her work or her story, google her. She’s fabulous!

The second weird moment of the evening? Walking to SAM (we parked on the street) I was stopped by a homeless man who said to me, “I wouldn’t mind sticking my nose in those butt cheeks!” Interesting. It’s extremely funny to me now, but strange (really strange) at the time. And was a major factor in our decision not to walk to the car after it had gotten dark. I’ve had people (guys mostly) say obscene, weird things to me, but this one really takes the cake for sheer bizarreness.

2 comments:

Life's Art said...

Park in the garage next time, please!

Leah said...

Dearest Mommy,

I almost forgot you read my blog - no worries!! It was light out!!

Love you,

Leah