Friday, November 14, 2008

I’d Settle for a Handshake.. and the City..



I love Sex and the City. Snappy dialogue, hot sex, beautiful clothes . . . you can’t go wrong with that, right? When the movie was released (and plagued with some terrible reviews) I happily shelled out ten bucks to see it. And I remained in love. I even loved the progression away from sex to family and love. Yes, I love the show even with less sex! ;) Until last night. It’s possible (probable really) that my deteriorating attitude over the last few weeks altered my perception of the film. It’s possible (probable really) that I could watch it tomorrow and enjoy it just as much as the first time.

Problem Number One:

Yes Carrie and Big belong together. Yes they’re each other’s one true love. Blah blah blah. Maybe it’s because their happily ever after is what I crave with my not so (Mr.) Big. Maybe my personal life is intruding too forcefully on my relaxation time. Whatever the case may be, the romance really rubbed me the wrong way.

Problem Number Two:

Girlfriends are so hard to come by these days. At least ones of the Sex and the City caliber. Sticking together-ness and not fighting over men? Can such friendships actually exist? I have my doubts. Experience has taught me that women who play the game are dangerous. Especially to those of us who never bothered to learn the rules.

2 comments:

R* said...

Hi Leah! Rachel here. I agree with you. And maybe I'm stubborn, but I do believe such girlfriend friendships CAN and DO exist, although sadly it's the exception. What I've loved/hated about that show is how distinctly different each friend is from the others, and yet they love each other and enjoy spending time together. Is that realistic? Does that happen??? Even after Charlotte is married and has a little girl, she is still committed to time with her girlfriends. WHYYYY can't that happen in real life!

Leah said...

Hey Rachel!! I love that too! Maybe their differences are what keep them closer? I don't know . . I was having a very pessimistic moment when I wrote this . . I feel much more positive this week! ;)